Place:


Ecclesall West Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Ecclesall like this:

ECCLESALL-BIERLOW, a township, a chapelry, a sub-district, and a district in W. R. Yorkshire. The township lies on the verge of the county, within Sheffield parish and borough, 3 miles SW of Sheffield town; but it includes outskirts of that town, together with numerous hamlets, and is practically a suburb of Sheffield. The hamlets in it are Barber-Nook, Broomhall, Whirlow, Greystones, Hallamgate, Sharrowmoor, Sharrowvale, Sharrowhead, Little Sheffield, Milnhouses, Carterknowl, Bannercross, Buttonhill, Silverhill, Little Common, Abbeydale, Cherrytreehill, Machonbank, Brencliffe-Edge., Upper and Nether Edge, Dobbinhill, Whiteley-Wood, Bents-Green, Broadoak-Green, Highfield, and part of Crooks and Crooks-Moor. ...


The township has a post office, of the name of Ecclesall, under Sheffield; and it shares in the cutlery and hardware trade of Sheffield, and has partaken largely of that town's prosperity. Acres, 4, 400. Real property, £103, 355; of which £300 are in mines, and £280 in quarries. Pop. in 1851, 24, 552; in 1861, 38, 771. Houses, 7, 960.—The chapelry includes only a small part of the township, and was constituted in 1849; but the chapelry of Crooks, and parts of several chapelries of Sheffield, are also in the township. Pop. of Ecclesall chapelry, 2, 869. Houses, 484. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of York. Value, £350.* Patron, the Vicar of Sheffield. The church stands near Bannercross, near the site of a previous church which belonged to Beauchief abbey. Charities, £68.—The sub-district includes also the Heeley hamlet part of Nether Hallam township. Pop., 41, 224. Houses, 8, 475. -The district comprehends also the sub-district of Nether Hallam, containing the rest of Nether Hallam township; the sub-district of Upper Hallam, containing Upper Hallam township in Sheffield parish, and two townships of Dronfield parish electorally in Derby; and the sub-district of Norton, containing Norton parish and Beauchief-abbey liberty, both electorally in Derby. Acres, 20. 860. Poor-rates in 1862, £21, 265. Pop. in 1851, 37, 914; in 1861, 63, 618. Houses, 13, 007. Marriages in 1860, 215; births, 2, 473, -of which 125 were illegitimate; deaths, 1, 287, -of which 552 were at ages under 5 years, and 9 at ages above 85. Marriages in the ten years 1851-60, 1, 238; births, 20, 200; deaths, 11, 549. The places of worship in 1851 were 10 of the Church of England, with 5, 452 sittings; 1 of Independents, with 200 s.; 7 of Wesleyan Methodists, with 3, 074 s.; 2 of New Connexion Methodists, with 826 s.; 1 of Primitive Methodists, with 1, 000 s.; and 2 of Wesleyan Reformers, with 100 attendants. The schools were 17 public day schools, with 2, 089 scholars; 64 private day schools, with 2, 054 s.; 23 Sunday schools, with 3, 880 s.; and 1 evening school for adults, with 15 s. The workhouse is in Ecclesall-Bierlow township.

Ecclesall through time

A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Ecclesall has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Sheffield. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Ecclesall and units named after it.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Ecclesall, in Sheffield and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/12383

Date accessed: 22nd October 2014


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Ecclesall".