In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Barrington like this:
BARRINGTON, a parish in Langport district, Somerset; 3½ miles NE of Ilminster, and 5 SW of Langport r. station. It includes the hamlet of Barrington Hill, and part of the hamlet of Westport; and its Post Town is Ilminster. Acres, 1,656. Real property, £3,857. Pop., 501. Houses, 104. The property is much subdivided. Barrington Court was a seat of the Phelipses and the Strodes, visited in the time of the latter by the Duke of Monmouth. The living is a vicarage in the dio. of Bath and Wells. Value, £84. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Bristol. The church is ancient. There are a Wesleyan chapel and an endowed school.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Barrington has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of South Somerset. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Barrington and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Barrington in South Somerset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 27th September 2016
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Barrington".