In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Long Ashton like this:
ASHTON (Long), a parish and a subdistrict in Bedminster district, Somerset. The parish lies on the Bristol and Exeter railway, near Wans Dyke and Dundry Beacon, 3 miles SW of Bristol. It contains Bedminster workhouse, and Bower-Ashton, Kingcott, Providence, Yanley, and Rownham hamlets; and has a post office under Bristol. ...
Acres, 4,237. Real property, £10,535. Pop., 2,000. Houses, 297. The centre is a fertile wooded vale; partly disposed in market gardens and orchards, for sending vegetables and fruit to Bristol. The N rises into a range of bleak but picturesque hills, which command a grand view of the surrounding country. The S goes up to Barrow Common, which is sometimes deemed extra-parochial, and has remains of Roman camps at Stokeleigh and Burwalls. The chief residence is Ashton Court: which see. Many Roman coins have been found. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Bath and Wells. Value, £450.* Patrons, Sir J. Smyth, Bart., and W. G. Langton, Esq. The church dates from 1390; has a carved Gothic screen, dividing the chancel from the nave and aisles; contains figured stained windows and some handsome monuments; and is surmounted by a tower, with the arms of the Lyons family in stone. There are an Independent chapel, an endowed school with £14, and other charities with £142 Collinson, the county historian, was vicar.-The subdistrict comprises seven parishes. Acres, 19,349. Pop., 5,864. Houses, 1,073.
Long Ashton is now part of North Somerset district. Click here for graphs and data of how North Somerset has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Long Ashton itself, go to Units and Statistics.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Long Ashton in North Somerset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 23rd March 2017
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Long Ashton ".