In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Grainsby like this:
GRAINSBY, a parish in Louth district, Lincoln; 3 miles WNW of North Thorseby r. station, and 6½ S of Great Grimsby. Post town, North Thorseby, under Louth. Acres, 1, 167. Real property, £1, 965. Pop., 124. Houses, 24. The property is divided among a few. Grainsby Hall, a fine mansion, with greater part of the land, belongs to the Haighs. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Lincoln. Value, £285.* Patron, J. Johnston, Esq. The church is good, and has a tower.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Grainsby has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of East Lindsey. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Grainsby and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Grainsby, in East Lindsey and Lincolnshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 30th September 2014
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Grainsby".