In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Ash like this:
ASH, a hamlet and a chapelry in Martock parish, Somerset. The hamlet stands near the Durston and Yeovil railway, 3 miles Sw of Ilchester. Pop., 322. The chapelry includes the hamlet, and was constituted in 1845. Post Town, Martock under Ilminster. Pop., 580. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Bath and Wells. Value, £62. Patron, the Vicar of Martock.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Ash in South Somerset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 30th April 2017
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Ash ".