In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Ash like this:
ASH, a hamlet and a chapelry in Martock parish, Somerset. The hamlet stands near the Durston and Yeovil railway, 3 miles Sw of Ilchester. Pop., 322. The chapelry includes the hamlet, and was constituted in 1845. Post Town, Martock under Ilminster. Pop., 580. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Bath and Wells. Value, £62. Patron, the Vicar of Martock.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Ash has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of South Somerset. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Ash and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Ash in South Somerset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 06th October 2015
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Ash".