In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Ansford like this:
ALMSFORD, or Ansford, a parish in Wincanton district, Somerset; adjacent to Castlecary, the river Brue, and the East Somerset railway. Post Town, Castlecary. Acres, 844. Real property, returned with contiguous parishes. Rated property, £1,828. Pop., 306. Houses, 69. The property is much subdivided. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Bath and Wells. Value, £297.* Patron, F. Woodford, Esq. The church was restored in 1861, at a cost of about £1,000.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Ansford has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of South Somerset. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Ansford and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Ansford in South Somerset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 01st October 2014
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Ansford".