In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Great Gonerby like this:
GONERBY (Great), a village and a parish in Grantham district, Lincoln. The village stands near the Great Northern railway, 2 miles NNW of Grantham; is large and well built; and has a post office under Grantham. The parish comprises 2, 800 acres. Real property, £6, 243. Pop., 1, 145. Houses, 247. The property is subdivided. The manor belongs to Earl Brownlow. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Lincoln. Value, £300.* Patron, the Vicar of Grantham. The church is interesting; has an embattled tower, with crocketted spire; and contains an altar-tomb of 1500. There are chapels for Independents, Wesleyans, and Primitive Methodists, a national school in the Tudor style, and charities £22.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Great Gonerby has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of South Kesteven. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Great Gonerby and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Great Gonerby, in South Kesteven and Lincolnshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 23rd May 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Great Gonerby".