In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Alford like this:
ALFORD, a village and a parish in Wincanton district, Somerset. The village stands on the river Brue, near Castlecary r. station, 8 miles SE of Glastonbury. It has a post office under Bath. A chalybeate spring in its neighbourhood was formerly much resorted to, but is now neglected. The parish comprises 722 acres. Real property, with Lovington and Wheathill, £3,793. Pop., 109. Houses, 21. The property is all in one estate. The living is a rectory, united with the rectory of Hornblotton, in the diocese of Bath and Wells. Value, £788.* Patron, the Rev. J. G. Thring. The church is early perpendicular of the time of Henry VI.; with very fine features of structure and carving.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Alford has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of South Somerset. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Alford and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Alford in South Somerset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 29th November 2014
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Alford".