In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Fleet like this:
FLEET, a village and a parish in Holbeach district, Lincoln. The village stands near the Spalding and Sutton-Bridge railway, 2 miles ESE of Holbeach; and has a a station on the railway, and a post office under Wisbeach. The parish comprises 6, 667 acres; and includes a tract called Fleet Fen. Real property, £14, 726. Pop. of the Fleet Fen tract, 167. Houses, 32. Pop. of the whole, 1, 312. Houses, 247. The property is divided among a few. Many copper coins of Gallienus, and other relics, have been found. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Lincoln. Value, £1, 250.* Patron, Rev. J. Jerram. The church is ancient but good; and an embattled tower, with lofty spire, stands apart from it. There are chapels for Baptists and Unitarians. An endowed school has £48; and other charities have £69.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Fleet has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of South Holland. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Fleet and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Fleet, in South Holland and Lincolnshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 06th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Fleet".