In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Dalton like this:
DALTON, a township in Rotherham and Thrybergh parishes, and a chapelry in Rotherham, Thrybergh, and Ecclesfield parishes, W. R. Yorkshire. The township lies 2 miles E of Rotherham; and includes the village of Dalton-Brook. The part of it in Thrybergh is known as Dalton-Magna; and the part in Rotherham, as Dalton-Par-Acres, 1, 400. Real property, £2, 202; of which £269 are in quarries. Pop., 336. Houses, 75. The chapelry was constituted in 1850; and its post town is Rotherham. Rated property, £2, 230. Pop., 369. Houses, 79. The property is divided among a few. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of York. Value. £200.* Patron, G. S. Foljambe, Esq. The church is good.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Dalton has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Rotherham. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Dalton and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Dalton, in Rotherham and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 10th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Dalton".