Place:


Milton  Hampshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Milton like this:

MILTON, a parish in Lymington district, Hants; on Christchurch bay, 7 miles W by S of Lymington r. station. It comprises the tythings of Ashley and Chewton, and has a post office under Lymington. Acres, 6,416; of which 100 are water. Real property, £6,277. Pop., 1,295. Houses, 275. The property is subdivided. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Winchester. Value, £120.* Patron, the Vicar of Milford. The church, with the exception of the tower, was rebuilt in 1831. There are chapels for Independents, Baptists, and Wesleyans, a national school, and charities £4.

Milton through time

Milton is now part of New Forest district. Click here for graphs and data of how New Forest has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Milton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Milton, in New Forest and Hampshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/1226

Date accessed: 17th November 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Milton ".