In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Elsham like this:
ELSHAM, or Ailesham, a parish, with a railway station, in Glanford - Brigg district, Lincoln; on the Wolds, 4½ miles NE of Glanford-Brigg. Post - town, Barnetby, under Ulceby. Acres, 4, 110. Real property, £5, 654. Pop., 409. Houses, 87. The property is all in one estate. Elsham Hall belonged formerly to the Thompsons, and is now the seat of T. G. Corbett, Esq. An Angustinian priory was founded at Elsham, in the 12th century, by Beatrice de Amundeville. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lincoln. Value, £46. Patron, T. G. Corbett, Esq. The church is tolerable; and there is a -Wesleyan chapel.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Elsham has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of North Lincolnshire. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Elsham and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Elsham in North Lincolnshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 09th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Elsham".