In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Wylye like this:
WYLYE, or Wiley, a parish, with W. village and Deptford tything, in Wilton district, Wilts; on the river Wiley at Wiley r. station, 7¼ miles NW by W of Wilton. Post town, Heytesbury, under Bath. Acres, 2,279. Rated property, £3,203. Pop., 489. Houses, 118. The manor belongs to the Earl of Pembroke. An inn is at Deptford; and there are extensive ancient entrenchments, called Badbury Ring and Yarnbury. The. living is a rectory in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, £492.* Patron, the Earl of Pembroke. The church was rebuilt in 1844. There are a dissenting chapel, a national school, and charities £10.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Wylye has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Salisbury. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Wylye and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Wylye, in Salisbury and Wiltshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 06th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Wylye".