In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Wootton Rivers like this:
WOOTTON-RIVERS, a parish in Pewsey district, Wilts; on the Kennet and Avon canal and on the Mid-Wilts railway, 3 miles ENE of Pewsey r. station. It has a post-office under Marlborough. Acres, 1,179. Real property, £2,021. Pop., 444. Houses, 93. There are an iron foundry and an agricultural implement factory. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, £379.* Patrons, St. John's College, Cambridge, and Brasenose College, Oxford. The church is good; and there are a national school, and charities £15.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Wootton Rivers has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Kennet. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Wootton Rivers and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Wootton Rivers, in Kennet and Wiltshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 31st July 2014
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Wootton Rivers".