In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Basildon like this:
BASILDON, a chapelry in Laindon parish, Essex; 2 miles NNW of Pitsea r. station, and 4 SE of Billericay. Post Town, Laindon, under Billericay. Acres, 1,627. Real property, £1,927. Pop., 180. Houses, 25. The living is annexed to Laindon rectory in the diocese of Rochester.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Basildon has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Basildon. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Basildon and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Basildon in Essex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 19th May 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Basildon".