In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Welwyn like this:
WELWYN, a village, a parish, and a sub-district, in Hatfield district, Herts. The village stands on the river Maran, 1¼ mile W of the Great Northern railway, and 5 N of Hatfield; carries on shoe-making and wool-stapling; consists chiefly of two well built streets; and has a head post-office,‡ a r. station with telegraph, two hotels, a police station, a good ancient church, two dissenting chapels, a large national school, an education charity, a workhouse, and charities for the poor £26.The parish includes Woolmer-Green hamlet, and comprises 2,987 acres. ...
Real property, £7,044. Pop., 1,612. Houses, 320. The property is much subdivided. Danesbury and Frythe are chief residences. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £665.* Patron, All Souls College, Oxford. Dr. Young was rector, and wrote here his "Night Thoughts." A national school is at Woolmer-Green, and is used as a chapel of ease.The sub-district contains 4 parishes, and is a poor-law union. Acres, 6,457. Pop., 2,21 1. Houses, 439.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Welwyn has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Welwyn Hatfield. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Welwyn and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Welwyn, in Welwyn Hatfield and Hertfordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 13th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Welwyn".