In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Coatham like this:
COATHAM, two hamlets and a chapelry in Kirk-Leatham parish, N. R. Yorkshire. The hamlets are East and West-Coatham; they lie at the mouth of the Tees, 1 mile N of Redcar r. station, and 6 N by W of Guisborough; they carry on a fishery, and are frequented for sea-bathing; and they have a post office under Redcar. Pop., 371. The chapelry was constituted in 1860. Pop., 727. Houses, 149. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of York. Value, £152. Patron, A. Newcomen, Esq. Turner's free school was rebuilt here in 1869, at a cost of £4, 000; and is in the Gothic style, with a tower.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Coatham has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Redcar and Cleveland. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Coatham and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Coatham, in Redcar and Cleveland and North Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 22nd May 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Coatham".