In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Stratford Sub Castle like this:
STRATFORD-UNDER-THE-CASTLE, a parish in Alderbury district, Wilts; on the river Avon, 2 miles NNW of Salisbury r. station. It has a post-office under Salisbury. Acres, with Old Sarum, 1,483. Real property, £2,621. Pop., 332. Houses, 74. The property is subdivided. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, £80.* Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of S. The church is good.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Stratford Sub Castle has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Salisbury. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Stratford Sub Castle and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Stratford Sub Castle, in Salisbury and Wiltshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 23rd May 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Stratford Sub Castle".