In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Stockton like this:
STOCKTON, a parish in Warminster district, Wilts; 1¾ mile WNW of Wiley r. station. Post town, Heytesbury, under Bath. Acres, 2,000. Real property, £2,267. Pop., 288. Houses, 64. The manor, with S. House, belongs to H. Biggs, Esq. The Ridgeway traverses the S.; and at Stockton Wood there are vestiges of a Roman station, on the site of an ancient British town. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, £436.* Patron, the Bishop of Winchester. The church is good; and there are alms houses with £159 a year.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Stockton has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of West Wiltshire. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Stockton and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Stockton in West Wiltshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 23rd May 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Stockton".