In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Stapleford like this:
STAPLEFORD, a parish in Wilton district, Wilts; 1½ mile NNW of Wishford r. station, and 4¼ NNW of Wilton. Post town, Wilton, under Salisbury. Acres, 2,015. Rated property, £1,791. Pop., 260. Houses, 66. The property is subdivided. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, £105.* Patrons, the Dean and Canons of Windsor. The church was recently restored, and has a fine Norman porch.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Stapleford has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Salisbury. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Stapleford and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Stapleford, in Salisbury and Wiltshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 10th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Stapleford".