Place:


Stanton St Bernard  Wiltshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Stanton St Bernard like this:

STANTON-ST. BERNARD, a parish in Devizes district, Wilts; on the Kennet and Avon canal, 2¼ miles NW by N of Woodborough r. station, and 5½ E by N of Devizes. It has a post-office under Marlborough. Acres, 1,979. Real property, £3,139. Pop., 358. Houses, 77. The manor belongs to the Earl of Pembroke. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, £222.* Patron, the Earl of Pembroke. The church was recently rebuilt. There are a Wesleyan chapel, a national school, and charities £47.

Stanton St Bernard through time

Stanton St Bernard is now part of Kennet district. Click here for graphs and data of how Kennet has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Stanton St Bernard itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Stanton St Bernard, in Kennet and Wiltshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/12104

Date accessed: 23rd February 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Stanton St Bernard ".