In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Great Somerford like this:
SOMERFORD (Great or Broad), a parish, with a village and a hamlet, in Malmsbury district, Wilts: on the river Avon, 7 miles NNE of Chippenham r. station. It has a post-office under Chippenham. Acres, 1,770. Rated property, £2,520. Pop., 532. Houses, 114. The property is divided among a few. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £447.* Patron, Exeter College, Oxford. The church was restored in 1865.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Great Somerford has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of North Wiltshire. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Great Somerford and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Great Somerford in North Wiltshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 19th December 2014
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Great Somerford".