In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Sherston like this:
SHERSTON-MAGNA, a village and a parish in Ma1msbury district, Wilts. The village stands on the river Avon, 5½ miles WSW of Malmsbury, and 8½ E by S of Wickwar r. station; was known to the Saxons as Sceorstan; witnessed an obstinate battle, in 1 016, between Edmund Ironside and Canute; was long a place of considerable consequence; and has a post-office, of the name of Sherston, under Ma1msbury, and fairs on 12 May and 2 Oct. The parish comprises 4,280 acres. Real property, with S.-Parva, £8,637. ...
Pop. of S.-M. alone, 1,503. Houses, 325. The property is subdivided. The manors of S.-M and S.-P., with Pinkney Park, belong to W. H. Creswell, Esq. Roman coins have been found; a deep well, supposed to have been of Roman origin, is behind the village; and an entrenched camp, probably Saxon, is a little to the NE. The living is a vicarage, united with S.-Parva, in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £150.* Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Gloucester. The church is Norman and cruciform, and has a central tower. There are chapels for Independents, Baptists, and Primitive Methodists, national and British schools, and charities £13.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Sherston has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of North Wiltshire. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Sherston and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Sherston in North Wiltshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 11th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Sherston".