In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Sherrington like this:
SHERRINGTON, a parish in Warminster district, Wilts; near Codford r. station, and 3¼ miles SE of Heytesbury. Post town, Heytesbury, under Bath. Acres, 1,280. Real property, £1,131. Pop., 187. Houses, 43. The manor belongs to the Rev. P. A. Fane. An ancient castle of the Giffards was here, and is now represented by a moated mound. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, £238.* Patron, the Rev. A. Fane. The church is good.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Sherrington has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of West Wiltshire. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Sherrington and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Sherrington in West Wiltshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 28th January 2015
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Sherrington".