In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Preshute like this:
PRESHUTE, a parish in Marlborough district, Wilts; on the river Kennet, 1¼ mile S W of Marlborough r. station. It includes Clatford, Elcot, and Manton tythings; and is within Marlborough parliamentary borough. Post-town, Marlborough. Acres, 5, 351. Real property, with Savernake Park, £10, 223. Pop., 1, 209. Houses, 177. The property is divided among a few. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, £186. Patron, the Bishop of Salisbury. The church is partly Norman, and in good condition; and has a brass of 1518.The Marlborough workhouse is here. There are a national school, and charities £6.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Preshute has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Kennet. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Preshute and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Preshute, in Kennet and Wiltshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 24th May 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Preshute".