In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Pewsey like this:
PEWSEY, a village, a parish, a sub-district, and a district, in Wilts. The village stands on a head-stream of the river Avon, near the Mid Wilts railway, 1 mile S of the Kennet and Avon canal, and 7 S S W of Marlborough; is a seat of petty sessions; and has a post-office‡under Marlborough, and a railway-station with telegraph. The parish comprises 4, 791 acres. Real property, £9, 828. Pop. in 1851, 1, 921; in 1861, 2,027. Houses, 402. The property is much subdivided. The manor belongs to St. ...
Thomas' hospital and Sir Francis Astley. The vale of Pewsey separates Marlborough downs from Salisbury plain; is a strip of varied colour, flanked by slopes of chalk hills; and is noted for abundance ofgreen-sand fossils. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, £1,038.* Patron, the Earl of Radnor. The church is mainly early English, partly perpendicular, with an E tower; and the chancel-was rebuilt in 1861. There are two national schools. The districtworkhouse is here; and, at the census of 1861, had 81inmates.The sub-district contains also the parishes of Milton-Lilborne, Wootton-Rivers, Easton, Burbage, Ever-ley, Collingbourne-Kingston, and Collingbourne-Ducis. Acres, 28, 784. Pop., 6, 995. Houses, 1, 149. The district comprehends also the sub-district of Netheravon, containing the parishes of Netheravon, Fittleton, Enford, Uphaven, Rushall, Charlton, Wilsford, North Newnton, Manningford-Bruce, Manningford-Abbots, Woodborough, Huish, and Wilcot, and the chapelry of Alton-Priors. Acres of the district, 65, 650. Poor-rates in 1863, £5, 630. Pop. in 1851, 12, 503; in 1861, 12, 466. Houses, 2, 618. Marriages in 1863, 75; births, 454, of which 43 were illegitimate; deaths, 318, of which119 were at ages under 5 years, and ten at ages above 85. Marriages in the ten years 1851-60, 834; births, 4,037; deaths, 2, 329. The places of worship, in 1851, were 22of the Church of England, with 2, 972 sittings; 7 of Baptists, with 1,013 s.; 6 of Wesleyans, with 1,006 s.; and 3 of Primitive Methodists, with 307 s. The schools were 19 public day-schools, with 1, 263 scholars; 14 private day-schools, with 292 s.; and 23 Sunday schools, with 1, 633 s.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Pewsey has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Kennet. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Pewsey and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Pewsey, in Kennet and Wiltshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 24th May 2015
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Pewsey".