In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Orcheston St Mary like this:
ORCHESTON-ST. MARY, a parish in Amesbury district, Wilts; on Salisbury plain, 8¾ miles N E of Wiley r. station, and 11¼ S S E of Devizes. Post-town, Orcheston, St. George, under Devizes. Acres, 1, 737. Real property, with Orcheston, St. George, £3, 480. Pop., 177. Houses, 41. The property is divided betweentwo. The manor belongs to Miss Mills. Orchestondown is in the N E. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, £380.* Patron, Clare College, Cambridge. The church is partly ancient, and restored; and the chancel was recently rebuilt.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Orcheston St Mary has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Salisbury. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Orcheston St Mary and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Orcheston St Mary, in Salisbury and Wiltshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 23rd May 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Orcheston St Mary".