In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Orcheston St George like this:
ORCHESTON-ST. GEORGE, a village and a parish in Amesbury district, Wilts. The village stands on Salisbury plain, 8 miles N E of Wiley r. station, and 12 S S E of Devizes; and has a post-office under Devizes. The parish contains also the hamlet of Elston, and comprises 2, 363 acres. Real property, with Orcheston, St. Mary, £3, 480. Rated property of O., St. G. alone, £1, 548. Pop., 236. Houses, 48. The property is divided between two. The manor belongs to W. Linton, Esq. The parish is remarkable for the widely-known Orcheston grass. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Salisbury. value, £600.* Patron, Wadham College, Oxford. The church is of the 14th century, and in excellent condition; and has stained-glass windows. There is a national school.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Orcheston St George has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Salisbury. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Orcheston St George and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Orcheston St George, in Salisbury and Wiltshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 23rd October 2014
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Orcheston St George".