In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Ogbourne St George like this:
OGBOURNE-ST. GEORGE, or Great Okebourne, a village and a parish in Marlborough district, Wilts. The village stands near the source of a small affluent of the river Kennet, 3½ miles N by E of Marlborough r.station; and has a post-office, of the name of Ogbourne, St. George, under Marlborough. The parish comprises 3, 585 acres. Real property, £5, 215. Pop., 534. Houses, 123. The property is divided among a few. A Benedictine priory, a cell to Bec-Herlowyn abbey in Normandy, was founded here, in 1149, by Maud de Wallingford; and was given to Kings College, Cambridge, and to the Charter-house. ...
A considerable portion of Marlborough downs is within the parish, and has been extensivelylaid under good cultivation. Barbury hill, with a well-preserved ancient British camp, and the scene of a great battle in 556, is 2½ miles N W of the village, and has been separately noticed. There are several barrows. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, £244.* Patrons, the Dean and Canons of Wind-sor. The church is ancient, with a tower; and was restored and beautified in 1865, at a cost of £1, 300. There are chapels for Baptists and Primitive Methodists, and charities £11.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Ogbourne St George has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Kennet. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Ogbourne St George and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Ogbourne St George, in Kennet and Wiltshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 04th May 2016
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Ogbourne St George".