In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Oaksey like this:
OAKSEY, a village and a parish in Malmsbury district, Wilts. The village stands near the Swindon and Gloucester railway, 3 miles S E of Akeman-street at the boundary with Gloucestershire, 5¼ N W of Minety r. station, and 6 N E by N of Malmsbury; and has a post-office under Cirencester. The parish contains also the hamlet of Flintham and part of the tything of Kemble-Wick. Acres, 1,802. Real property, £4, 630. Pop., 450. Houses, 105. The property is subdivided. The manor belongs to the Misses Salisbury. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £406.* Patron, Capt. Mullins. The church is partly Norman; was recently restored; has some stained windows, and an embattled tower. There are a Primitive Methodist chapel, a national school, and charities £4.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Oaksey has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of North Wiltshire. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Oaksey and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Oaksey in North Wiltshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 28th February 2015
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Oaksey".