In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Norton Bavant like this:
NORTON-BAVANT, a village and a parish in Warminster district, Wilts. The village stands on the river Wiley, adjacent to the Salisbury and Westbury railway, 1¼ mile N W of Heytesbury r. station, and 2¾ S Eby E of Warminster. The parish includes a detached portion, separated from the main body by Warminster parish. Post-town, Warminster. Acres, 2, 165. Real property, £3, 549. Pop., 261. Houses, 61. The property is divided among a few. Norton House is a chief residence. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, £250.* Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church was recently rebuilt. There are a parochial school, and charities £4.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Norton Bavant has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of West Wiltshire. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Norton Bavant and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Norton Bavant in West Wiltshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 19th February 2017
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Norton Bavant".