In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described South Newton like this:
NEWTON (South), a village and a parish in Wilton district, Wilts. The village stands on the river Wiley, adjacent to the Salisbury, Westbury, and Bath railway, 1 mile S S E of Wishford r. station, and 2¼ N by W of Wilton. The parish includes the tythings of Burdens-Ball, Chilhampton, Stoford, Ugford, and Little Wishford; and its post town is Wilton, under Salisbury. Acres, 3, 370. Real property, with Great Wishford and Avon, £6, 880. Rated property of S. N. alone, £4, 515. ...
Pop., 717. Houses, 125. The property is divided among a few. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, £221. Patron, the Earl of Pembroke. The church was variously Norman, transition Norman, early English, and perpendicular; went into a ruinous condition; was rebuilt throughout the N side, in the early English style, in 1862; was restored, throughout the S side, with preservation of the original features, in the same year; has a tower and a S porch, then built; and retains an old three-light E window, now filled with stained glass. There are a national school, charities £10, and the Wilton workhouse; and the last has a handsome chapel, erected in 1864.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing South Newton has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Salisbury. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering South Newton and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of South Newton, in Salisbury and Wiltshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 26th February 2017
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "South Newton".