In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Long Newnton like this:
NEWNTON (Long), a village and a parish in the district of Tetbury and county of Wilts. The village stands near Akeman-street, and near the boundary with Gloucestershire, 1½ mile E of Tetbury, and 6½ S W by W of Tetbury-road r. station; was known to the Saxons as Newantune; and has a post-office under Tetbury. The parish comprises 2, 289 acres. Real property, with Ashley, £4, 581. Rated property of L.N. alone, £2, 663. Pop., 277. Houses, 63. The property belongs to the Right Hon. T.H.S.S. Estcourt. A right of commonwas given by King Athelstan. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £370. Patron, the Right Hon. T.H.S.S. Estcourt. The church is modern, but retains the tower of a previous edifice. There are a village school, and charities £16.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Long Newnton has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Cotswold. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Long Newnton and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Long Newnton, in Cotswold and Wiltshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 05th May 2015
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Long Newnton".