In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Deeping St Nicholas like this:
DEEPIN FEN, a fen and a chapelry in Bourn district, Lincoln. The fen lies on the North Drove and the South Drove drains, between Market-Deeping and Spalding; and comprises upwards of 30, 000 acres. About one-half consists of enclosed commons, included in parishes; and the rest is extra-parochial. The chapelry comprises the extra-parochial part; was constituted in 1846; bears the alternative name of Deeping-St. Nicholas; lies adjacent to North Drove railway station, and 5 miles WSW of Spalding; and has a post office, of the name of Deeping-St. Nicholas, under Spalding. Acres, 16, 290. Real property, £27, 681. Pop., 1, 180. Houses, 184. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lincoln. Value, £210. Patrons, the Trustees of the late W. Stevenson, Esq. The church was built in 1846.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Deeping St Nicholas has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of South Holland. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Deeping St Nicholas and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Deeping St Nicholas, in South Holland and Lincolnshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 19th June 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Deeping St Nicholas".