In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Monkton Farleigh like this:
MONKTON-FARLEIGH, a parish, with a village, in Bradford-on-Avon district, Wilts; adjacent to the river Avon, the Great Western railway, and the boundary with Somerset, 3½ miles NW by N of Bradford r. station. Posttown, Bradford-on-Avon. Acres, 1,796. Real property, £2,967; of which £203 are in quarries. Pop., 352. Houses, 73. The manor belongs to the Bishop of Salisbury. A Cluniac priory, a cell to Lewes abbey, was founded here, in 1125, by Humphrey de Bohun; was given, at the dissolution, to the Seymours; and has left some traces. ...
Monkton-Farleigh House was erected out of materials of the priory; occupies part of its site; belonged, for a time, to the family of Long; and has reverted to the Bishop of Salisbury. An exquisitely worked silver seal, supposed to have been that of the last prior, was found in the vicinity. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, £196.* Patron, the Bishop of Salisbury. The church comprises recent nave and chancel and an old tower. There is a fuel allotment.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Monkton Farleigh has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of West Wiltshire. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Monkton Farleigh and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Monkton Farleigh in West Wiltshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 08th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Monkton Farleigh".