In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Corby like this:
CORBY, a village, a parish, a sub-district, and a hundred in Northampton. The village stands on an affluent of the river Nen, 3½ miles SSE of Rockingham r. station, and 7½ NNE of Kettering; and has a post office under Thrapston. The parish comprises 2, 800 acres. Real property, £3, 445. Pop., 794. Houses, 188. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £400.* Patron, the Earl of Cardigan. The church is ancient. There are a Wesleyan chapel, a free school, and an endowed British school. -The sub-district is in Kettering district; and contains ten parishes. Acres, 20, 108. Pop., 4, 210. Houses, 930. -The hundred contains twenty-seven parishes. Pop., 10, 959.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Corby has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Corby. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Corby and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Corby in Northamptonshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 13th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Corby".