In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Cawthorn like this:
CAWTHORN, a township in Middleton parish, N. R Yorkshire; 3½ miles NNW of Pickering. Acres, 1,540Pop., 33. Houses, 3. Here are four Roman camps, in good preservation; one of them square and double-ditched; another, nearly oval, 850 feet long and 320 broad. Some British tumuli are near.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Cawthorn has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Ryedale. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Cawthorn and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Cawthorn, in Ryedale and North Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 27th August 2014
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Cawthorn".