In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described South Marston like this:
MARSTON (SOUTH), a chapelry in Highworth parish, Wilts; adjacent to the Great Western railway and to the river Cole at the boundary with Berks, 2¾ miles W of Shrivenham r. station, and 3¼ S by W of Highworth. Post town, Highworth, under Swindon. Real property, with Stanton-Fitzwarren and Sevenhampton, £11,536. Rated property of S. M. alone, £3,827. Pop., 370. Houses, 85. The property is much subdivided. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £175. Patron, the Vicar of Highworth. The church is ancient and tolerable. There is a snbscription school.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing South Marston has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Swindon. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering South Marston and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of South Marston, in Swindon and Wiltshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 23rd May 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "South Marston".