In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Colsterworth like this:
COLSTERWORTH, a township, a parish, and a sub-district, in Grantham district, Lincoln. The township bears the name of Colsterworth-with-Woolsthorpe; lies on the river Witham, and on the High Lyke Roman way, 4 miles W of Corby r. station, and 8 S of Grantham; and has a post office, ‡ of the name of Colsterworth, under Grantham. The parish includes also the hamlet of Twyford. Acres, 3, 300. Real property, £4, 084. Pop., 1, 163. Houses, 274. The manor of Woolsthorpe belonged to the father of Sir Isaac Newton; and the manor-house, now a farm-house, still standing, was Sir Isaac's birthplace. ...
The living is a rectory in the diocese of Lincoln. Value, £585.* Patron, the Prebendary of South Grantham. The church is chiefly early English; has a tower; and was recently restored. There are two Methodist chapels. A school has £30 from endowment. Walker, the author of the "English Particles, " was rector.The sub-district contains seventeen parishes, Acres, 35, 320. Pop., 5, 391. Houses, 1, 163.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Colsterworth has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of South Kesteven. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Colsterworth and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Colsterworth, in South Kesteven and Lincolnshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 08th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Colsterworth".