Place:


Fowey  Cornwall

 

In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described Fowey like this:

Fowey.-- small seaport, market town, and par. with ry. sta., E. Cornwall, near mouth of river Fowey, 11 miles S. of Bodmin, 1945 ac., pop. 1656; P.O., T.O., 2 Banks. Market-day, Saturday. The principal Industry is the pilchard fishery, which is very important Fowey at one time ranked among the principal seaports in England, and sent ships to the crusades and to the blockade of Calais. ...


It has a deep and commodious harbour, well sheltered by cliffs; 180 yards W. of Whitehouse Point is a fixed light seen 5 miles. Iron ore and "China Stone" are exported. (For shipping statistics, see Appendix..

Fowey through time

Fowey is now part of Restormel district. Click here for graphs and data of how Restormel has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Fowey itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Fowey, in Restormel and Cornwall | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/1195

Date accessed: 29th March 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Fowey ".