In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Butterwick like this:
BUTTERWICK, a township-chapelry in Foxholes parish, E. R. Yorkshire; 5½ miles SSE of Sherburn r. station, and 10 N of Great Driffield. Post Town, Weaverthorpe, under York. Acres, 1,540. Real property, £1,613. Pop., 109. Houses, 16. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of York. Value, £47. Patron, the Rector of Foxholes. The church has an effigies of a knight.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Butterwick has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Ryedale. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Butterwick and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Butterwick, in Ryedale and East Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 09th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Butterwick".