In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Liddington like this:
LIDDINGTON, a parish in Highworth district, Wilts. The village stands 4 miles SE by S of Swindon, and 5 SE of Swindon r. station; and is small. The parish contains also the hamlets of Liddington-Wick, LiddingtonWarren, Coate, and Medbourn. Post town, Swindon. Acres, 2,767. Real property, £4,362. Pop., 440. Houses, 93. The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to the Duke of Marlborough. Remains of the old manor-house, of Tudor date, surrounded by a moat, are in a dell. Liddington Castle, or Badbury, is an ancient British camp, large and circular; and was the scene of a decisive defeat of the Saxous under Cerdic, by King Arthur. ...
The living is a rectory in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £325. * Patron, the Duke of Marlborough. The church is ancient; was restored in 1850; has a roof of timber frame-work, and a tower; and contains a very ancient font, and monuments of two church dignitaries, supposed to be abbesses of Shaftesbury. There are a Wesleyan chapel and a national school.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Liddington has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Swindon. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Liddington and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Liddington, in Swindon and Wiltshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 27th March 2015
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Liddington".