In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Lea like this:
LEA, a village and a parish in Malmsbury district, Wilts. The village stands 1½ mile ESE of Malmsbury, and 7½ SW of Minety r. station; and has a post office under Malmsbury.The parish contains also the hamlet of Cleaverton, and is all included in Malmsbury borough. Acres, 1, 739. Real property, with Garsdon, £4, 815. Pop., 432. Houses, 99. The manor belongs to the Earl of Pembroke. There is a large corn mill. The living is a vicarage, annexed to the rectory of Garsdon, in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. The church is of Norman or perhaps Saxon date; was restored in 1840; and has a tower. There are an Independent chapel, a free school, and charities £6.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Lea has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of North Wiltshire. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Lea and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Lea in North Wiltshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 19th February 2017
You have reached this page because, for example, "Lea and Cleverton" was one of the names of this administrative unit which we associate with Lea.
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Lea and Cleverton".