In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Latton like this:
LATTON, a parish, with a village, in Cricklade district, Wilts; on the Thames and Severn canal, adjacent to Gloucestershire, 1½ mile N by W of Cricklade, and 5 N of Purton r. station. Post-town, Cricklade. Acres, 1,680. Real property, with Eisey and Water-Eaton, £7,248. Rated property of L. alone, £2,000. Pop., 308. Houses, 67. The property belongs to the Earl of St. Germans. A Roman pavement was discovered in 1670, but no trace of it now exists; and there is a very ancient stone cross. The living is a vicarage, united with the vicarage of Eisey, in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £300.* Patron, the Earl of St. Germans. The church, which retains two of its original Norman arches, has a tower of Norman architecture, and was recently restored. There is a national school.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Latton has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of North Wiltshire. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Latton and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Latton in North Wiltshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 02nd April 2015
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Latton".