In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Langley Burrell like this:
LANGLEY-BURRELL, a parish, with a village, in Chippenham district, Wilts; on the river Avon, and on the Great Western railway, 1½ mile NE of Chippenham. Post-town, Chippenham. Acres, 1,725. Real property, £6,161. Pop. in 1851,697; in 1861,1,100. Houses, 211. The increase of pop. arose from the erection of numerous houses in a part adjoining Chippenham. The property is subdivided. A causeway, more than 3 miles long, with 60 arches, extends here and crosses the Avon. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. ...
Value, £386.* Patron, the Rev. R. M. Ashe. The church is ancient but good, and has a tower. A chapelry, called St. Paul's, constituted in 1855, comprises a portion of this parish, and portions of the parishes of Chippenham, Hardenhuish, and Kington-St. Michael. Pop. of that chapelry, in 1861,1,218. Houses, 232. Pop. of the L. B. portion, 733; of the Chippenham portion, 455. The living is a p. curacy. Value, £200. Patron, the Bishop of Gloucester and Bristol. The church is large, and has an elegant spire. There is a free school.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Langley Burrell has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of North Wiltshire. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Langley Burrell and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Langley Burrell in North Wiltshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 28th February 2015
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Langley Burrell".