In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Landford like this:
LANDFORD, a village and a parish in Alderbury district, Wilts. The village stands on a branch of the river Test, 2¼ miles from the boundary with Hants, 6 SE by S of Dean r. station, and 10 SE by E of Salisbury; and has a post-office under Salisbury. The parish comprises 1,689 acres. Real property, with Plaitford, £2,935. Rated property of L. alone, £1,561. Pop., 278. Houses, 55. The property is divided among a few. The manor belonged to the Lyghs; passed to the Davenants and the Eyres; and is now held by the Dowager Countess Nelson. Landford Lodge was the seat of the Greatheeds, and is now the property of J. R. Wigram, Esq. Iron ore exists, but has not been worked. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, £280.* Patron, Earl Nelson. The church was rebuilt in 1858.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Landford has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Salisbury. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Landford and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Landford, in Salisbury and Wiltshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 28th November 2014
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Landford".