In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described East Knoyle like this:
KNOYLE (EAST), a village and a parish in Mere district, Wilts. The village stands 2½ miles N by W of Semley r. station, and 2½ SW by S of Hindon; and has a post-office under Salisbury.The parish comprises the tythings of Knoyle, Milton, and Upton. Acres, 5,558. Real property with Pertwood, £7,541. Rated property of E. K. alone, £6,381. Pop., 1,034. Houses, 240. The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to the Bishop of Winchester. Knoyle House is the seat of H. ...
D. Seymour, Esq.; and contains an interesting collection of pictures. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, £851. * Patron, the Bishop of Winchester. The church is ancient, cruciform, and good; and has a modern nave, and an embattled tower. There are chapels for Independents and Primitive Methodists, a national school, and charities £76. Sir Christopher Wren was a native, and his father was rector.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing East Knoyle has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Salisbury. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering East Knoyle and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of East Knoyle, in Salisbury and Wiltshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 29th July 2016
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "East Knoyle".