In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Crawley like this:
CRAWLEY, a village and a parish in East Grimstead district, Sussex. The village stands adjacent to the Horsham railway, 1½ mile WSW of the Three Bridges Junction, near the boundary with Surrey, 7½ miles W by S of East Grimstead; has been much improved and extended since the forming of the railway; and has a head post office, ‡ a railway station, two inns, a church, an Independent chapel, a Baptist chapel, a Roman Catholic chapel, and fairs on 8 May and 9 Sept. The church is decorated English, with a square tower; and has been restored. ...
The Roman Catholic chapel, with conventual buildings, was erected in 1861, at a cost of £5, 000; but is very plain. The parish comprises 770 acres. Real property, £1, 171. Pop., 473. Houses, 88. The property is subdivided. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Chichester. Value, £116.* Patrons, the Heirs of Mrs. Clitherow.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Crawley has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Crawley. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Crawley and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Crawley in Sussex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 10th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Crawley".