In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Knook like this:
KNOOK, a parish, with a village, in Warminster district, Wilts; on the river Wiley, the Old Ditch way, and the Somerset and Weymouth railway, 1 mile SE of Heytesbury r. station. Post town, Heytesbury, under Bath. Acres, 1, 440. Real property, £1, 342. Pop., 208. Houses, 46. The property belongs chiefly to Lord Heytesbury. Knook Castle is an ancient single ditched entrenchment, of about 2 acres; is supposed to have been originally a British village, and afterwards a Roman summer camp; and has yielded Roman coins. ...
Traces of another ancient British village are to the N. " The site of these villages, '' says Sir R.Hoare, " is decidedly marked by great cavities and a black soil; and the attentive eye may easily trace out the lines of houses and the streets, or rather the hollow ways, conducting to them. Numerous tumuli and barrows are in the neighbourhood. '' The living is a p. curacy, annexed to the p. curacy of Heytesbury, in the diocese of Salisbury. The church, in Aug., 1866 was about to be repaired
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Knook has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of West Wiltshire. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Knook and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Knook in West Wiltshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 11th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Knook".